Friday, January 4, 2019


Sorghum is the fifth major staple cereal after wheat, rice, maize and barley.  It is cultivated worldwide in warmer climates and is an important food crop in semi-arid tropical areas of Africa, Asia and Central America.  Sorghum is native to East Africa, possibly to Ethiopia and it is thought to have been domesticated around 1000 BC.  The whole grain can be boiled, roasted, popped or ground to make flour for baking (flat breads) and pastry.  Sorghum grain is used for the production of alcoholic beverages, including beer and liquors.  Some sorghum varieties are used for dyeing textiles or leathers.   https://www.feedipedia.org/node/224


QUOTES of English author, poet, critic and artist John Ruskin (1819-1900)   What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.  The only consequence is what we do.  The Crown of Wild Olive, lecture IV:  The Future of England, section 151 (1866).  In general, pride is at the bottom of all great mistakes.  Modern Painters, Volume IV, part V, chapter III, section 22 (1856).  https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Ruskin

Persian and English cucumbers are similar enough that they can be used interchangeably.  Both are best enjoyed fresh, whether they're sliced for salads or used as a vehicle for dip.  Persian cucumbers are thin-skinned and only grow to be about five to six inches long and remain quite narrow.  These cukes are nearly seedless and extra crisp rather than watery, and have a mild, sweet flavor.  English cucumbers are also thin-skinned and pretty much seedless, but they're about a foot long on average and not as narrow as Persian cukes.  Their flavor is a little less sweet and more mild, but they're still extra crunchy (although they can be a bit more watery).  Sheela Prakash  https://www.thekitchn.com/difference-between-persian-english-cucumbers-259699

"There was nothing my mother could not bring me from a library."  On James Dickey:  " . . . his book Poems 1957–1967 is the finest book of poetry ever published in America . . . in that assessment Leaves of Grass, the collected works of Emily Dickinson, the works of Wallace Stevens, and I will throw in T. S. Eliot for dessert."  "Each day of my life begins with a poem that will unloose the avalanche of words inside me, that secret ore that, once polished, will sit before me disguised as the earth's jewelry."  Pat Conroy  My Reading Life, 2010, memoir of an author who believes in the power of books to shape a life

Pat Conroy (1945-2016)  Conroy’s death was larger than life, with 4 million people clicking on his website in recent days just to be close.  It was dramatic, with Conroy and loved ones exchanging emotional goodbyes three different times before the Irish eyes they say never lost their sparkle were closed for good at his creekside home in Beaufort on March 4, 2016.  The Citadel, which once banned its famous graduate because of his writing, formed the single largest presence at his funeral Mass at St. Peter’s Catholic Church on Lady’s Island.  And his first wife, Barbara, was in the throng who attended the public visitation at Anderson Funeral Home in Beaufort.  Friends say Conroy’s final chapter was laced with humor.  He would smile when his best friend, Bernie Schein, would whisper in his ear that he was an asshole.  But in his dying days, Conroy mostly heard poetry, singing and reminiscing.  Family and close friends sang “The Marines’ Hymn” as life ended for the Marine Corps brat who showed up at age 15 and found a home and worldwide voice in Beaufort.  When Conroy was at home, and in his final days, he was surrounded by members of his family and close friends.  Alex and Zoe Sanders visited.  The former judge married Pat and Cassandra in 1998, and delivered the eulogy at his funeral Mass.  Story River Books author Ellen Malphrus read poetry, as did Conroy’s brother Tim and others.  Author and friend John Warley sang old Citadel songs from their days together at South Carolina’s military college in Charleston.  Cassandra said even the date Conroy died was a marching order:  March forth.  The same was true for his last words.  “One of the last things he talked to me about, and I’m going to write about this too, but just before he got to where he couldn’t communicate that well with us, he said, ‘I want to talk to you about this book that you’ve got in you that you’ve got to write.  You promise me you’re going to write it.’ ”  She calls it her “farm book” and it will tell about the dying American family farm, like the one she was reared on in Alabama.  A couple of hundred people enjoyed mounds of pickled shrimp at the Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club and listened as Cassandra’s two sons, Jacob and Jason Ray, sang with Conroy’s granddaughter, Molly Giguire.  They sang, “Down to the River to Pray” from the “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” soundtrack.  It always reminded Molly of her “Poppy” because that CD was all she had to listen to when she borrowed his car for a trip.  James Dickey’s daughter, Bronwen Dickey, read a poem.  Conroy’s close friend Scott Graber spoke, as did family members and others.  David Lauderdale  https://www.islandpacket.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/david-lauderdale/article65666537.html

Cliff Graubert, like Frank Walsh, was one of the founding members of Georgia Antiquarian Booksellers Association.  In the 1970’s his Old New York Bookshop was well-known both for books and as a meeting place for many Atlanta writers. Cliff’s profile is in the form of an interview.  The first question was:  When, why, how did you start the Old New York Bookshop?   Why that name?   Cliff responded,  When I decided that I wanted to be a bookseller, I was in New York, planning to begin in Atlanta in one year.  I bought books at estate sales all over New York and purchased one library.  I, with the help of Sol Felperin, who was my mentor, helped sell the contents of a niche publishing company called The Free Thought Press Association which published books on atheism.  The founder Joseph Lewis died, and Sol found out about it from his wife who worked for the law firm that represented the estate.  If we could get rid of the inventory of 30 to 50 thousand new books, we could keep Lewis' personal library of about 1000 books.  We did, and we received.  I drove down to Atlanta with about 3500 books and opened the Old New York Book Shop.  I called it that because I thought of Book Row in downtown New York on 4th Avenue which had twenty-two bookstores in a five block span.  That was in 1971.  Most people who enter this business come by it naturally as an extension of their love for books which they have collected, realizing at some point that they may make a living selling them.  I came to bookselling in an unconventional way.  I grew up in New York. In 1964 I went into the Army and wound up stationed at Fort Gordon.  That was my introduction to Georgia.  I decided to finish college at Georgia State.  After graduation, I worked with my dad in New York as a furrier on 7th Avenue.  It was there that I learned how to run a business.  Realizing that the fur business was slowly dying, I decided to try something else.  I was in the fur business with my dad but saw that the future was not in the cards for a young man.  The business was shrinking and I was the youngest man at 29.  Today the fur business is gone except for a few glamorous retailers.  I opened my store on Piedmont Road just south of Piedmont Park in 1971.  I signed a three year lease.  Later on I purchased the building on Juniper Street.  How did Old New York Bookshop become known as a meeting place for Southern writers?  There was never a meeting at the store until Pat Conroy walked into the shop in April of 1973--the old store on Piedmont road.  He saw the old bookcase I rolled outside with 10 and 25 cent books.  We talked baseball mostly.  Pat had just returned from interviewing Clint Courtney, manager of the Savannah Braves.  He made me laugh, and I him.  The second time he came in, he invited me to a party at his house.  It was November of the next year when Pat had the idea for me to have a celebration of a new book.  Pat and I met Verne Smith at the Mansion on Piedmont and Ponce de Leon over drinks and arranged the first autographing for Smith’s The Jones Men.   A persistent rumor says that you grow championship pumpkins and exhibit them at county fairs in South Georgia.  Is this true?  This statement is completely false.  I exhibit in North Georgia.


http://librariansmuse.blogspot.com  January 4, 2019  Issue 2016

No comments: